Brampton Real Estate home

Brampton Heritage

 

1780’s

Settlers arriving from Europe to a largely untouched wilderness.

1820

Intersection of Queen and Main Streets (“four corners") was the heart of the city.

John Elliott and William Lawson (both from Brampton, Cumberland, England) settled, established a strong Methodist presence and named the settlement Brampton

1846

Population of 150 with two stores, a tavern, tannery, cabinetmaker, two blacksmiths and two tailors

1853

Brampton officially incorporated as a village

1856

The Grand Trunk Railway constructed a rail line and a station

1867

Brampton selected as the Peel County seat. The County Courthouse, Jail and other public buildings were constructed

1873

Brampton incorporated as a town and John Haggert was elected the first Mayor

1860

Edward Dale established a flower nursery and thereby became known as the “Flowertown of Canada”

1900's

Many Greenhouses built to grow orchids, hybrid roses and other quality flowers

1910

population of 4000

1948

devastating flood of Etobicoke Creek

1950

Bramalea created and touted as "Canada's first satellite city” of Toronto

1952

opened concrete diversion channel to straighten and reroute the Etobicoke Creek

1974

Region of Peel created and Brampton became a city

1980's

 Large-scale industries arriving and large subdivisions developing

Today

 population over 450,000 and among the largest urban centres in Canada

 

Home  |  Top  |  Printer Friendly  |  +Bookmark  |  Privacy Policy    
Powered by Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies (CMS6)